We live such busy lives nowadays: work, social events, running the kids all over Tucson. Some days it's all we can do to keep track of everywhere we need to be. That's why you've gotta be organized. Smartphones, calendar apps - we have to keep track of it all.
So let's talk about schedules. Specifically, automotive service schedules. And particularly, the scheduled services that are sometimes forgotten.
Here is a list of 10 service items that are often overlooked by Tucson residents. They're all very important and need appropriate attention. So here we go, in no particular order.
1. Power Steering Service Be honest; have you ever thought of this on your own? Your power steering fluid gets dirty and builds-up moisture over time. Cleaning out your power steering system means that dirt and gum are removed and your power steering parts are protected from corrosion. Next time you're in for an oil change, ask your AASTRO Transmission & Auto Repair service advisor if it's time for a power steering check-up.
2. Wheel Alignment When your wheels are out of alignment your vehicle pulls to one side. It's pretty annoying, but it's also dangerous. And it causes your tires to wear out really fast, which is an unnecessary expense! Most owner’s manuals suggest you get your alignment checked once or twice a year.
3. Differential Service Did you even know you had a differential? Well, you do - one, two or three in fact. Differentials are often called gear boxes and they're part of the drive-train that transfers power from your vehicle engine to your wheels. They don't need service that often, but you can't completely forget them. Check with your friendly and knowledgeable AASTRO Transmission & Auto Repair service advisor.
4. Cabin Air Filter More and more cars these days have cabin air filters (a great feature, in my opinion) to clean the air in the passenger area where we sit. They filter out dust and pollen. When they're clogged up, they can get smelly. Change your cabin air filter on schedule to enjoy fresh, clean air, which can also help with allergies.
5. Timing Belt Replacement Most cars and some vans and trucks driven around the Tucson area have timing belts. Without going into a lot of detail, let's just say that your car won't run without it – period. And if it breaks while you're driving, it can do thousands of dollars’ worth of engine damage. Check your owner's manual or speak with your AASTRO Transmission & Auto Repair service advisor. If you're approaching 60,000 miles or 100,000 kilometers; definitely look into it right away.
6. Transmission Service Transmission service is very basic, but it's often forgotten by Tucson drivers. Your vehicle transmission needs clean fluid from time to time to keep operating efficiently and avoid pricey repairs.
7. Air Conditioning Service Most of us don't think about our air conditioning until it fails on a hot day in Tucson. If you're lucky, you just need to add refrigerant. If you're not, some of the components may have been ruined. Of course, these components are not cheap. Regular air conditioning service at AASTRO Transmission & Auto Repair in Tucson adds clean refrigerant which cools and lubricates your air conditioner and conditions the seals.
8. Brake Service No we're not talking about squealing, grinding brakes here. We're talking brake fluid. Over time, the fluid gets a lot of water in it. Because water compresses differently than the brake fluid, your brakes won't work as well. It may even get dangerous. The water can also rust out brake system components and then your brakes can fail altogether. Check with your AASTRO Transmission & Auto Repair technician for recommendations.
9. Coolant System Another thing that's so easy for Tucson drivers to forget about: When you don't change your antifreeze on schedule it becomes corrosive. Fresh coolant contains additives that maintain the pH balance in the coolant. These additives wear out and the fluid in the radiator can actually eat holes in the radiator or hoses. Then you're stranded - bummer.
10. Fuel System Cleaning In these times of high fuel prices, fuel system cleaning is vital. Fuel gums up a bunch of parts as it moves from the gas tank and through the engine. A thorough fuel system cleaning at AASTRO Transmission & Auto Repair in Tucson will keep clean gas flowing into the engine. Your fuel injectors also get gunked up over time and need to be cleaned. Having your fuel system cleaned on schedule at AASTRO Transmission & Auto Repair will really help your fuel economy.
There you have it: 10 services that are often overlooked by Tucson residents. Did you know that a recent survey showed that 90 percent of vehicles on the road have at least one scheduled maintenance service that hasn't been performed? Considering our busy lives, we're not surprised. AASTRO Transmission & Auto Repair can help with any of these services. Give us a call or come see us.
AASTRO Transmission & Auto Repair 5302 East Speedway Tucson, AZ 85712 (520) 325-5500
I took my car in for a problem. It was quickly diagnosed & the cost was minimal. The guys really know their stuff.
Just the usual great service.
I have always received great service & great advice. My questions are always answered honestly.
Your staff were very courteous & professional. They explained everything in detail and were exceptional in helping keep the repair affordable. They were honest & up front about everything. I came away feeling my repair needs were given the highest priority. Thanks.
Thank you for showing me my serpentine belt. I was told by others it needed replacing and you showed me that the belt was still O.K. - appreciate your honesty.
Your staff is always very accommodating & go out of their way to help you.
I am very happy because I have less worries about my car.
Thank you for all the personal attention - I hope I can find as trustworthy & conscientious group of mechanics where I live now.
-Nola & Scott Lohman
They have been good people to deal with.
Very courteous staff, I was taken care of right away. Staff went above & beyond.
-Mrs. Robert McCain
I was treated with care and given detailed explanations for everything.
I have been using AASTRO to service my cars for about 10 years. I have always received great service.
Your staff was awesome. Very professional, courteous, friendly & helpful.
Excellent repair personnel - nice people to deal with.
So thankful for their assistance while traveling! Exceptional service by caring folks. Highly recommend!